Campbells

Campbells

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Recipe for Mennonite Cinnamon Rolls

You asked, I'm giving.

Mrs. Vernon Kurtz from Illinois and Mrs. Elverne Martin from Indiana submitted this recipe entitiled "Breakfast Rolls" to a cookbook. This cookbook came to me intentionally. Living here, I make most things from scratch. I would love me a good ready-made pizza or pie crust from time to time, but I've learned to deal with it. And I think my food tastes better now anyway. So, once on a drive out in the middle of Tennessee, I stopped at an Amish store. I asked for a basic cookbook where all recipes would be made from scratch. The little lady cocked her cloth-covered head at me and said, "We make it all from scratch." Right.

So, here it is:

Breakfast Rolls
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 cup warm water
4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. grated lemon rind (didn't have this, so I used some extract I had)
1/4 c. sugar
1 c butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1 warm c. milk
1 c. sugar
1 T cinnamon

Dissolve yeast in water. Combine flour, salt, lemon rind, and 1/4 c. sugar. Cut in butter. Combine eggs, milk, yeast, then add to flour mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight (or all day if you plan to serve it for Breakfast Dinner like I did.) In the morning, divide dough in half, roll each piece into an 18 by 12 inch rectangle (mine was an oval, it worked anyway). Spread with soft butter, sprinkle remaining cinnamon and sugar on it. Roll up tightly, cut into 1 inch slices. Place on a greased cookie sheet and flatten each roll with your hand if you want that look. They don't need to rise, they're ready for the oven. 400 degrees for 12 minutes. They are not super-sweet, so I glazed them with a powdered sugar/milk glaze.

I plan to post the Fried Rice recipe, but it is more challenging. It was more of a tutorial. I need to study my notes first. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd come through! ;) Can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

I will have to try these. I have an aunt who is a fabulous cook and I have tried to make her cinnamon rolls but somehow the texture wasn't right.

I look forward to trying these and to any other recipes you want to impart on your readers. :D

Mel

P. S. Looking at pictures of Ben stealing off the cinnamon rolls was so cute and made me think of how much pleasure I've always gotten watching my boys eat. Isn't it fun to see your son(s) and husband make over your food?? I think it is.

Site Meter