Campbells

Campbells

Friday, April 23, 2010

Cappadocian Travelogue: Underground City

Long ago, when Christians were hiding for fear of persecution and martyrdom, they fled to this region. They carved homes, and even entire cities, underground. We were told there are hundreds of them here. We asked a local which one was his favorite, then went to see it. Well, actually, THEY went to see it. I happily agreed to stay back and let the baby have his nap. Shhh. I've never really outgrown my fear of being underground, trapped, unable to breath....my heart is pounding just to think about it!
I am assuming, in spite of the look on his face, that this guide was very nice and helpful. :)

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . Now that is history, isn't it? No wonder you like that region so much. Nothing has gotten to me yet about the Christians living there until this post. That is awesome, isn't it?

Melanie

Site Meter