Campbells

Campbells

Monday, September 19, 2011

Campbells Camping Part I

CC and I had been saying for years that when we no longer had a baby in the house, we might start camping. That time has come! Last Spring, we bought a tent for our family at the new sporting goods store that opened in our city. We were anxious to try it, but with school's end (one of our busiest times of the year) we had to wait. When we arrived back in the Fall, every weekend was booked with school obligations...inservice meetings, Open House, etc. until this weekend! We knew that if we didn't take a weekend soon, it would become too cold to camp.

CC talked to some folks and decided on a spot about 2 hours north of our city. We had to leave after 5PM so Firstborn could finish her volleyball practice. We didn't arrive til after dark. We could not find our original destination, Karagul (Dark Lake), that night, but we found a great spot up on a ridge above a logging town. The road up was a one-lane wonder, clearly used only for the occasional tractor or logging truck.

Here's a panoramic shot of what surrounded us.

The Campbellkids were so excited to get to tent camp for the very first time. We had advised them it would be cold, much colder than Ankara and much colder than our house at night. We packed our warmest pajamas, lots of blankets, and our sleeping bags. Knowing I'd never sleep with all my little younguns around me in a tent, I popped a Tylenol PM and hoped for the best. Still, I awoke several times worrying my little boy, who tends to squirm around, would not be warm in his bag. At one point, he felt like a little ice cube, so I pulled him into my sleeping bag. And, readers, I must say that was an extreme sacrifice on my part. Not only do I not like closed spaces (I sleep with one foot out of my covers every night so it can "breathe."), my sleeping bag was some kind of high-tech type that looked more like an Egyptian coffin than a sleeping bag. It tapered IN! And then I put my hulk of a son in it with me! But he did get warm quickly, I did relax, and we both slept the rest of the night. And I must say it was nice to wake to his sweet little smile and, "I sleep wit' YOU, Mama!"

We had a ready-made breakfast of boiled eggs, blueberry muffins, grapes, and cheese.

And so our adventure began!

There are several in the running for Cutest Camper of the Year Award.

More on our weekend adventure tomorrow!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

We've said the same thing about camping without diapers and all that gear. I think the last time I went was when we were in Alaska and we went up to Denali in the fall- it was COLD!! We didn't bring anything with us here because orders were changed so fast and we barely had time to get organized. But to be honest, I'm more of a creature of comfort anyway! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks great! Can't wait to hear the rest of it!

I can only imagine the cold! Brrrr! Oh, gee. Reminds me again of my young years camping with my grandmother who was a camp-a-holic. I think I probably mentioned that she and my grandfather spent their honeymoon camped on a riverbank . . . That was 1937!! :) Difference was we always camped in summer, Louisiana heat, humidity, swamp and alligators . . . Real ones! We always camped on the bayou, or the "by" as people down there call it. How would you like to zip up your tent hoping alligators and snakes couldn't work the zipper? :) Sometimes we slept under the stars with somebody keeping watch. No exaggeration!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story . . . What a view ya'll had! Wow. I love Ben in your sleeping bag and you are like me, leave the toesies out of the cover!! I so agree! I hate sleeping bags! :)

Mel

Site Meter