Campbells

Campbells

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Perge Part V (The Public Bath)

This was once a public bath. The outer walls are crumbling, but they once separated the different baths (cold/hot/tepid). The long pipe carried water into the cavern. I wondered what the squares were for. Likely they are the base for what was once a pillar or support under the floor. But I decided I liked to think of them as little stools for each person wanting a bath...kind of like those little seats in a hotel hot tub. Right.
This section was for the warm water. The modern Turkish hamams (public bath houses) are based on the ancient Roman ones. They said men bathed up until noon. Women bathed after that. I wonder if Paul took a bath here.
Can you spot the overly affectionate child? Can you spot the one who might not be appreciate all that affection?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I do agree with your underwater seat theory (can't have naked people sitting too close together!)- and I do spy 5 beautiful kids (regardless of their wishes for affection)!

Melanie Keffer said...

How fascinating!

Site Meter