Campbells

Campbells

Monday, January 4, 2010

Cave Dwellers

You know how it is...you take your kids to a land full of rich history and artifacts dating back thousands of years, then you ask, "What do ya'll want to do today?" They hesitate only a second before jumping up and down and screaming, "Swim!" On the Campbell Clan vacations, we try to enjoy a mix of both. Swimming in our city is not easily done, so they really do look forward to their yearly chance to swim here (though the Turks believe even with chlorine added it will spread germs if the water is not kept cold, so we end up gritting our teeth and repeating over and over, "I am a good parent. I am a good parent." while swimming in the arctic zone.)

Campbell Clansman's favorite pick is to explore. This time we went to a cave which is said to have been inhabited continously since the beginning of time. ("Wait," I wondered, "does that mean Captain Caveman is still IN there?")We hiked up the mountain to the cave entrance. Big Ben got a lift...

One thing we found interesting was how the mountain drops off in such a stark contrast to the flat, inhabited town.

Yep, it was a big cave. They were excavating one portion and built this structure for getting to the bottom. I won't even describe to you the kind of guardrails it had since grandmothers read this.
Exploring in Turkey is so much fun because no one cares what you do and there is rarely a person acting as a security guard. The kids just took off...fingers feeling the wet cave walls, little bodies crawling into holes, voices yelling, "Hey, look at this!" Every site is hands-on.
Can you spot the face?

Another cute face I found.
It was a great field trip!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Ya'll are so adventurous! I am laughing sooo hard at your comment to me!

Melanie Keffer said...

Speechless is the word for this post, speechless and funny. I cracked up over the swimming pool story. Oh my goodness!!

Sara . . . Caves? I told you Ross and Dave were alike. One of my marriage proposals from Dave (There were three.) was the day he took me exploring in a cave.

Has anyone told CC that caves are dangerous? :) I say that with a smile. You can tell they scare me to death.

This was a great post.

Mel

Site Meter