Campbells

Campbells

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Give My Regards to Broadway

Three of my girls tried out for the musical "Give My Regards to Broadway" at our school. Sweet Cheeks, in spite of being in 6th grade, landed a spot in the chorus for this high school musical. She learned her dance moves and songs and was so cute up on stage. It was set in the late 1940's so we had a lot of fun coming up with costumes and "victory rolls" for their hair.

Miss Middler landed a major role. She was "Betty," a Virginia-born Southern girl who had moved to the Big Apple to launch a career on broadway. She maintained her Southern accent, however, and wowed us with her solo, "I Was Born in Virginia." Betty had bragged to her kinfolk back home that she was rich and famous and was going with a rich and famous piano player. She was so darling up there and represented the South well! Putting on that accent was no problem for my girl! I actually had NOTHING to do with this play, other than finding a 1940's dress on amazon for them, then showing up at dress rehearsal to do hair/make-up. So, I had no idea what to expect. But when my sweet girl started singing that song, all I could think about was her sweet Grandma,  born in Virginia. I sent a short video clip to her. Miss Middler was cute and spunky and Southern, nailing her solo, dancing while she sang, and laying some Southern charm on the whole audience.






Firstborn landed the lead female role. She was "Mary," just off the train and hoping to hit it big in Broadway. Her innocence and kindness took her far, and in the end she was given her big chance. At one point, "Mary" thought she had lost the part, and was planning to go back home to New Rochelle. All the gals in the show sang with her, "So long, Mary." It hit a little too close to home! The thing that struck me was that I have never actually heard my daughter sing. I have, of course, been next to her in church. And I've always thought she had a beautiful voice, but I have never once heard her sing a solo. She had multiple solos in the play. And out of her came this angelic, beautiful, strong voice. CC and I just looked at each other, "Where did THAT come from?" I am deeply grateful to her director, the pianist, and the music teacher for finding this voice! In the end, Mary gets a proposal from the director. She accepts and throws her arms around him. The most laughable part of the whole play to me, is that her true beau, in real life, is the one who says the line to break up that hug! It was such a cute musical.



It was a lot of fun for them to do this. They worked hard and performed in two evening performances.  They are also set to perform for Losev, the children's cancer hospital here in town, as well as a matinee for the elementary. I couldn't be prouder of them!

(Firstborn and her beau)

(Miss Middler and her young Southern niece sidekick. They really pulled it off, though this gal is 1/2 Northern USA and 1/2 Welsh!)



And these sweet ladies have invested so much in my kids. I texted them both on Mother's Day to thank them for being a 2nd mama to my 5. Don't know what I'd do without them!


1 comment:

Tara G. said...

Looks like so much fun!

Site Meter