Campbells

Campbells

Friday, May 1, 2009

My Kitchen

My friend Kelly http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/ posted a challenge to her blogger friends. Share your kitchen! I'll admit from time to time, I have struggled with not being able to really decorate my home as I would if I lived 'back home.' But with some prayer and a resolve to not look at home decor magazines, God has helped me through that. So, this kitchen is not going to be fancy or beautiful as many you will see on her blog, but hey, the food is served with loving hands and I am thankful for what God has given me! Hope you find it interesting to glimpse my Turkish kitchen.

I found this fabric and made the curtains. I like to tell people I have pink flamingos in my kitchen!
Pretty basic, but it gets food on the table for all those kids and a hungry man.

My kitchen was incomplete until I got my Turkish teapot. There's a trick to making Turkish tea. I can make it, but I still have my friend Hicran make it for any big parties we host.

My wall has a fun tray, 2 hand-painted Turkish plates, some clay eggs painted in the Ottoman design, and a picture of our family (minus the boy).
Here is our table. Right now it is a mix of the places we have lived. Heybet gave me the tablecloth with the Turkish Hittite design. The bamboo place mats are Asian. I change out my table often according to seasons or whatever lovely bouquet of dandelions have been picked for me.

Anytime you want to swing by, there's usually a pot of fresh tea, a few fried hot peppers, some white goat cheese, and black olives just waiting for you!

12 comments:

Kelly said...

I love it!!!! I think it's really pretty! I love that your family needs lots of place settings! That's my favorite thing - you ARE blessed!

Malinda said...

Love it. And you have a beautiful family.

Emily said...

Your kitchen looks very warm and welcoming. I love that you have incorporated things from the places you've been... it tells a story.

Deena said...

Sara,
I love your kitchen! I'm so glad that Kelly is doing this. I've been curious about your home.

The kitchen is much larger than I would have expected. Do you live in a typical Turkish apt? When we've visited Eastern Europe the homes and kitchens were small.

I love the pottery - so pretty! I have a tea set from Belarus that I just love.

Thanks for inviting us in. I'll look forward to seeing other rooms.

Blessings!

Pam Bowers said...

You did a great job decorating. It looks like the kitchen is a decent size too.

Ashley said...

Thank you for opening up your home! It looks awesome.
-Ash-

Tara G. said...

This is great! So much larger than my galley in Kyiv! The plates are beautiful!

Ashley said...

What a great tour! I love your fabrics. Thanks for letting us look---blessings on your ministry and family!

www.lifeofashleylancaster.blogspot.com

Jessica K. said...

First thing I thought when I looked at the pics (without reading) was: Oh man that looks like a european kitchen!!
:)
It doesnt matter if its fancy or not! I really like it. Mine isnt fancy either!! :)

Mitzi said...

I love your kitchen. It is a sweet memory for me of what Macedonian Kitchens looked like when I was there on a missions trip many years ago. God Bless

rachel hester said...

selam! how jealous i am that you and your family are in cok guzel turkiye! hard to type in turkish on an english keyboard. i worked as a nanny for a turkish family in istanbul about 10 years ago. i was in istanbul for only 4 short months, but i fell absolutely in love with the people and their genuine hospitality! your kitchen is delightful...teapot to boot! i also LOVED reading your post about leaving the baby with the two women at the base of the stairs. anyone who'd been there would completely understand. i hitch-hiked there and wouldn't DREAM of doing so in the U.S. take care of your beautiful family, and i hope you thoroughly enjoy the remainder of your stay!

rachel hester
chattanooga, tennessee

Lucy said...

I've been looking for a Hittite-design tablecloth like yours...when I lived in Turkey ages ago I bought a big one like that. I love it but it has been used to death. Do you happen to know where I could order one? Thanks!

Site Meter