Campbells

Campbells

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Country Day

Our school is proud to say that we have currently 36 different nationalities. Each Spring the lower elementary classes celebrate "Country Day." (My sis in law in Middle Tennessee assumed I meant hillbillies!) Esther planned to represent Singapore, her country of birth. However, the night before, she decided her Turkish costume was way cuter than her Singapore t-shirt and jeans. She digs deep when making decisions, like her mama. I thought she looked great...
then I took this photo and started to think she looked more like a rapper.
Annika reported on Singapore last year, and since the USA was already well represented, she chose Scotland. Nothing could have made her Campbell father prouder. I won't tell you how many hours he spends researching the Scots, especially those noteworthy Campbells. While in Scotland during his college years, he even ventured to the Campbell clan land. He was run off by an angry Scotsman who told him the Campbells had decimated his land and ancestors. We are sure this poor chap got the story wrong. Ross had a super time helping Annika research her country. Well into the night, long after Annika had gone to bed, Ross was still yelling out to me, "SARA!!! Sean Connery!!! He is a Scotsman..." Annika is wondering when her Papa will stop calling to her "Aye, lassie." To school she wore a Scottish tartan dress and carried a picnic basket with the Campbell tartan and homemade Scottish shortbread (do you have any idea how hard it is to find an authentic Scottish recipe without whiskey?)
Eva went with me to see the presentations. She dug into the dress up box and came up with her own costume. And to think, when she was a baby, we weren't sure she'd be ready for school come Fall 2009.
The class is singing the songs they learned with all the countries in the world. Her good friends Nilufer (Turkish-Iranian) and Eda (Turkish-South African) stand beside her.
This little guy, in my opinion, holds the title of the most adorable guy in our entire school. Rumor has it he's had his eye on Annika for 2 years now. In this photo, he seems to have wised up...she's too tall for him.

1 comment:

Melanie Keffer said...

It is wonderful to see pictures of the girls and their dress up clothes.

Eva continues to fascinate me. I wonder if she is like my Karoline? Karoline always stood out in personality like Eva does. In 18 years that has not changed.

Annika and Esther are real beauties, as is Mary. Mary (even though not in these pictures) reminds me of Kathleen . . . Your right hand, I would venture to guess.

Then there is that boy, noticeably absent in the pictures (ha) . . . What can you say? He could charm the socks off anybody - and does I imagine.

I love the family history research. Isn't it fun? You never know what you will dig up. :)

This was a good thing to read this morning. Thanks once again for sharing your family Sara.

Love,
Melanie

Site Meter