Campbells

Campbells

Monday, April 30, 2012

Miss Middler Weekend: Finishing Up

All too soon our fun weekend was almost over! We snuggled in bed Saturday night and watched the original version of Parent Trap (from 1960) together. The next morning, we dressed for church and came down to enjoy one last breakfast.
In the dining room, I was at a complete loss about the people group having breakfast around us. They were clearly Asian. Mongolian, maybe... I wondered. Curiosity was getting the best of me. And what really drew my interest was that they were all covered. Were they a tour group, showing respect for the host culture Turkey, by wearing headscarves when traveling? Their clothes were not modern. They reminded me of old-style village clothing, but expensive. I simply couldn't leave it alone...elderly Asian people traveling in the capital city of Ankara with headscarves? So, when getting some fruit, I smiled at one table of them. The old gentleman smiled back. I asked where they were from. They spoke not a word of English. Then one younger woman said haltingly that they were from China. We discussed which cities they would see, I welcomed them to Turkey. I told them they were beautiful, and that I'd love to take their picture. Then one older gentleman explained to me that they are Chinese Muslims. I was dumbfounded. Later I did a google search. Turns out that 1.6% of China, over 20 million people, are Muslims. I had no idea. I told them we are from America, that we are Christians. They were delighted to take pictures (and video!) of us. Over and over again, at times like this, I am reminded that I am exactly where I should be. My heart felt very full that morning.


A few more shots of my beautiful girl before we left....





I loved my weekend with you, sweet Essie!

4 comments:

Tara G. said...

I love the {old} Parent Trap!!! She looks like an American Girl doll- so sweet!!!

Angie said...

I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful weekend!

Rachel said...

What a lovely special weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a precious young lady!

Mel

Site Meter