Campbells

Campbells

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cappedocia Part VII: Our Amazing Discovery (Best Blogpost Ever)

If you're ever going to read my blog, today is the day. If you're ever interested in coming to Turkey, this will seal the deal.

One night while in Cappedocia, CC suggested we take a short hike. We opted to stay this one extra night, and the next morning was Sunday morning. Big Ben was fussy, the result of one too many naps missed. My mom offered to stay back with him and let me go on the hike. The big girls had just started a game of "house" with all the ancient pots and pans and water troughs at our cave hotel. So, just my dad, my husband, my 4 year old daughter, and I went. We drove down the hill from our cave, parked the car, then looked at the possible paths. CC's famous last words were, "Sar, take the road less traveled, it will make all the difference." So we started to walk up the path that looked a little more remote. It made all the difference.

First, I noticed some carvings on one of the cave structures. Upon closer inspection, we realized they were crosses. Then we came upon a huge gaping hole in front of which had been placed a fence. What do you do when you see a fence in Turkey? You either hop over it or climb under it. We found an opening and went in.

You'll never guess what we found. A church. A really old church. No signs. No guide books pointing us to it. We just found it. I can not even begin to tell you the thrill that is to me. When I was a kid, we used to find arrowheads with my mom, while living in Indiana. That was thrilling. But a church? I was speechless. Then I was full of speech, "It can't be. Why isn't this in a book? How old is it? What is this for?" Then I was speechless all over again.

We only spilled the beans to my mom that night. I had to tell SOMEONE and I couldn't tell YOU because I couldn't blog from a cave! So the next morning, we got everyone up and dressed, ate breakfast, then announced, "We're going to church."
Inside this structure were benches. Sadly, I am sure they were for tour groups at some point who merely appreciated the historical value. But for us, the dusty pews made a perfect spot for us to worship the Lord together, in a place over 1000 years old, where people worshipped Him before us. The spiritual impact of that upon me was significant. I wonder if they can see us from heaven? I wonder if they know I am thankful that they sacrificed so that the truth of Christ could come to me and my people?
This was perhaps an area for confession.
Baptismal.
Tombs of those who died in the faith long ago. There was even a place big enough only for a babe to be laid to rest.
I suppose what struck me the most about this is that it still included much of the 'furniture'. This is an ancient pulpit. We let the kids take turns going up and leading us in songs. Then CC got up to read God's Word to us. He started out on the ground level. The kids begged, "No Papa! Go up! Go up there to preach!" I admit I loved hollering out, "Brother Campbell, if you have a word for us, say it boldly!" And so he went up.
Oh how I pray my kids will never forget all this. Mostly, I pray they never forget their spiritual heritage!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Wow! I have no words. Thank you for sharing. What a privilege! I can only imagine...

The Fish Family said...

loved this story! Mom wants to publish your blog from their trip so I will help her.

Melanie Keffer said...

Well, I'm speechless also. That is truly a fascinating place. Thanks for sharing it.

Site Meter