Campbells

Campbells

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Glorious Day Part I

In our city, we see mostly evergreens. However, one time, completely by mistake, we discovered a spot just outside the city that had the most beautiful trees in the fall. We call it, "The Fall Place." We decided this weekend would be the time to see the leaves at their best, and a perfect day to leave the stresses of life behind for a few hours. It turned out to be an absolute glorious day. We drove about an hour and half to see this...
We left on Saturday morning, but not til we'd had our Turkish breakfast.
The little town just before The Fall Place is evidently known for its tursu. That's what they called homemade canned goods here. They don't use canners, but it is rather a pickling process. I suppose the summer gardens are in, so the ladies have canned the produce.
Hot peppers, pickles, cabbage, carrots. I love pickles, maybe I should try it. Am I safe even if they don't have the lids that go POP on them?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Melanie Keffer said...

That is one of my favorite pictures of your family. I really like Mary's new hair style. It suits her.

You have got to figure that if the Turkish people aren't dropping dead from their homemade canned goods, you probably won't either.

Just an opinion, of course. :)

There are other things that serve as preservatives, such as salt, for one. People have been preserving food since the beginning of time . . . . well almost. I doubt if Mason was making jars in Eve's days, but you know what I mean. Ha!

Mel

Site Meter