Campbells

Campbells

Friday, December 17, 2010

The Last Day for School in 2010

This last Friday of school in 2010 is always a big day for us! The teachers organize very purposeful parties for the kids. For many, it will be the first, and perhaps the only, time the Christmas story is ever told to them. So, it's a Big Day. I offered my help and was asked to organize one of the 4 "rooms" which the kids visit. They go to a singing room, a craft room, a Bible story room, and a game room. I was in charge of games. We threw cotton (snow) balls all over the floor, picked them up with spoons in mitten-clad hands, and dropped them in snow buckets...all with a timer. It was fun!

But I approached this day with guns ready (or my Sword, I should say) because on our "Big Days" like this, when it is more natural and more acceptable to share Him due to the holiday, the Enemy always gets busy.

Today he got busy by having 2 policemen knock at my door. They said my neighbor had called them about me. "Why?" I asked. Their reply, "You can not shake your rugs out of the windows, the dust disturbs her. She says you do this." I explained that I had not done it. (Even though it is illogical to follow this rule of hers, as all her balconies are glassed in and no dust can enter, I have agreed to it to appease her.) So then I called my Turkish friend to help translate for me and explain to them that I have not done this, but that this neighbor has some problems, and I simply want her to leave me alone. And then Big Ben appeared at my side. And grinned at them. They melted. They were much kinder than the last police that came. They winked at him, tried to get him to come shake their hands. Big Ben must have sensed they meant me no harm. (Sometimes when he senses otherwise, he gives a grumpy face.) He played peek-a-boo with them.

Even though they were kind, it was still unnerving. A policeman in a foreign country, called to your door by your neighbor who is chronically angry at you and not playing with a full deck, is still scary. I teared up a bit, and they said, "Oh. Please don't cry." I think it was out of frustration more than fear.

I called CC. He said, "Don't you worry. This is my problem, let me take care of it."

And then it occurred to me. When, of all times, did this happen? Exactly 5 minutes before I was heading out the door to school to help the teachers while they teach the Truth.

After all the parties were over and kids hugged goodbye and wished a Merry Christmas, I opened a note from a friend, written today, which said, "I am so grateful for your choice to come to Turkey...I don't think we'd still be here if you guys weren't here. Our boys have been blessed and built up in their faith, as well as given a great education. Thank you for your love for the kids-God has given you a great opportunity in each of their lives, and I thank God for this school everytime I am reminded of the places these kids are from."

I think God got the last word in on this day afterall. Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think He has the last word . . .He always does!

Ah, Sara . . . I would be un-nerved as well.

Let me mention one word here: Conviction?? I am sure this has crossed your mind also. The closer He gets, the harder the enemy fights but as we all know, the enemy cannot prevail.

Be careful. I know what you do is bathed in "p" but the enemy is not to be taken lightly, as we all know . . . . At the same time, not wanting to give him too much credit, either.

Think it is time for us over here to ramp it up in the "p" department for you all!

Our family will make it a point this holiday season.

Merry Christmas to the Campbells and their brightly burning light in Turkey!

Love to you all from,
David, Melanie, Kathleen, Karoline, Maverick and Matt Keffer

Tara G. said...

Amen, indeed! Hugs to you, friend!!

Rachel said...

Praying you have a peaceful holiday season!

Site Meter