Campbells

Campbells

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Meanwhile in Mississippi: The House Without Her

While Firstborn was at her orientation, I started to get some texts and pictures. This whole process has been interesting. At the times people expect me to cry, I don't. I didn't cry at her graduation party nor really even at her graduation (except when they walked in). I think at some of these celebratory times, I've had so many responsibilities, there's no time to reflect. But when she and her papa headed down to her orientation, suddenly I had a tiny taste of what is to come. The house without her. It was a little quieter. I made the usual huge pot of coffee the next morning, then went to pour my cup. With Twinkle and Middler over at the cousins' house and with Firstborn gone, I realized I was facing a full pot without them. I sort of smirked. Hmmm. The morning coffee drinkers are gone.

And as the day progressed, I began getting some texts and pictures of her. I found myself studying them closely, smiling back at her. Leaning into each quick text for the detail. The quilt we borrowed from Grandma. Your hair is sure curly in the humidity! Already made up your bed; that sounds like you. Yes, this will be the house without her. 


She got to meet her new roommate, a precious girl who is just as excited as we are about their upcoming friendship. 

And then I was told to check Instagram. She made it into the promo picture. 

The two days for them were wonderful. CC was able to pray with her (though I heard it was so stinkin' hot down there, she asked him if they could get off the bench and go pray inside because this (mountain, cold-climate, lovin') girl was about to pass out!) He got to walk the campus and see her there. They put the parents in meetings separate from the kids. CC said it seemed they were intentionally encouraging a theme of "Let go. It's time." Yes, we'll be letting go. 6000 miles of letting go.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. Just don't know what to say during this time. I remember it so well. The school ME is at is one we visited for Karoline. We liked it down there but then I am a Louisiana/Mississippi girl through and through, heat, humidity and all. I think of ME as a southern belle like yourself but she really isn't, is she? She is European? Feel free to correct my geography. I know that is not where she was born but was thinking of where she has spent most of her life . . . . Forgive me if that is not correct. You know what I'm trying to say. What she absolutely is, however, and this comes through even in pictures, is precious. I think Mississippi suits her. I have never seen her look prettier. Ah, Sara. Well, just prepare Ross . . . She won't be on the market long. Ha.

I remember meeting my kids' roommates the first time . . . Kathleen's was probably the most notable. We worried and prayed and worried and prayed and little did we know her family was doing the same. Kate had a bad roommate experience the year before and was ready to quit but her mother convinced her to try one more year, and knowing her mom as I do now, really prayed for God to choose her roommate. Talk about different. Kate was European having parents in your same profession, she grew up in West Africa and was used to hoping all over the world. (I know Africa is not in Europe before somebody says it. Ha) Kathleen, on the other hand, was the sweet little girl fresh off the farm, literally. I never would have paired the two. Kate slept with a knife under her pillow. A habit she developed in Africa. But the two of them formed a friendship over the next four years that only God could have created. In fact, Kathleen just got back from being Kate's maid of honor. They really do love one another.

So, I am wishing for ME the same wonderful blessings. I don't even have to mention prayer because I am sure she is covered in it. :) Then again, maybe we should pray for mom and dad? Ha. I missed Kathleen the most after she was away for a few weeks. I would be on the phone with her saying, "Can you drive home this weekend?" Fortunately, home was only six hours away by car. The distance is going to be the hard part for ya'll I am guessing. Then again, who knows? God has a way of helping us. I thought I would die when Kathleen spent a semester in France going to school - no drives home, but it really wasn't that bad.

So, I will end this commentary and just say that I am thinking of you and happy for ME. She is about to begin a wonderful chapter in her life. Does she know what she wants to do yet? Have I missed reading that?

Take care and God bless all of you very much!

Love,
Melanie and Family

Site Meter