Campbells

Campbells

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas Box Outreach: Delivery

The reaction we got from the people was priceless. It was truly a day I will never forget. I was surprised to see blonde hair and light eyes with dark skin. I would find out later that some of the people had come from Van, in Eastern Turkey. The children spoke Kurdish, not Turkish.

This little fellow was eager, not shy like many of the other children.





And he got to open his very own present, a package of cookies. I wonder if he will share with his sister?


The beautiful girls were warm and friendly and all smiles. But for them, a photograph does not involve a smile. They became very serious, and indeed honored, when I took their picture. The gal on the left was named Aynur. She helped me find the other homes and families. We linked arms and hugged goodbye. I hope to meet up with her again.



The people were extremely grateful, asking if they had to pay for the supplies. Some were afraid we might be there to harm them. Some cried when we gave the gift to them. One seemed to be drunk. The children clung to their mom's skirt, just like our kids do. We told them that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, and that He is our gift. Therefore, we want to share gifts with them.

This lady received the gift and was thrilled to have her picture made. Then her (perhaps drunk) husband entered the scene, took the box, and loudly put himself in the center, asking to have his picture made. I watched her back up and blend in to the background, but I wanted to keep her in the picture. It was a good reminder to me to be thankful for my sweet husband, who is not perfect, but honors me in a way that many women will never receive. I have so much for which to be grateful.

This little doll was up for a selfie with me.


This is perhaps my favorite picture. Both sides of the box show much.


This was the field where they sort the trash they bring in each night. I have an immense respect for them. They are not solely relying on hand-outs, though many of them likely are the street beggars we see. They have found a resourceful way to bring in a little bit of income. How can we continue to help them? These are the questions I am pondering now.

There were little bits of joy...smiles on the faces of children who had somehow landed a large stuffed animal in the trash somewhere, a kitten, a puppy (scratching fleas from top to bottom!).


This woman asked us in for tea. Can you imagine asking a stranger in for tea? Can you imagine that she wanted to use what little she had to serve us? We had agreed not to go inside with the kids. However, relationships were forged that day. I hope we can have tea together one day.


This mother with the purple hat called my Firstborn "her baby."




It was a wonderful day, full of hope and joy in giving, just what Christmas should be!

2 comments:

Erin Cohen said...

I am in tears. What your family and friends did was such a blessing. Not many families are as fortunate as us. Our family are hearing impaired but that does not stop us from doing anything but hear. We are incredibly blessed with the resources we have. Merry Christmas to you and yours from us in Maryland, USA.

Jo Elyn said...

What an amazing story of unconditional love. Yes, I had tears also. Thank you for blessing those precious people.
I love reading your blog. I taught in a Christian School for 28 years. I know where your heart is.
Merry Christmas from Amarillo,TX
Jo Elyn Landers

Site Meter