Campbells

Campbells

Friday, November 13, 2009

Where I've Been

Each Fall since I've been here, I've had the privilege of going to a 3-day mini-retreat for women. A couple hundred like-minded women meet in a city, sing and worship together, and listen to truth for the purpose of encouragement. Campbell Clansman has always let me go and willingly been Mr. Mom for the weekend. This year we met on the Aegean Coast. It was beautiful. These were taken out of my hotel balcony.

The mountain on the left is Greece, that's how far southwest we were.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Sleeping in til 7:30AM (late for me!), having an omelete chef ready to take our order each morning, precious worship time, rich fellowship and messages. I loved it.

But I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself when I got there. No baby? No laundry? No meals to prepare? I think I caught myself 4 times the first day, rocking my Bible and notebook as I stood, because there was no baby in my arms. I even felt, shockingly, homesick. What were my kids doing? Would Campbell Clansman manage? Did they all sleep ok? Did he forget to feed Benaiah?

So I sent a cheerful text message. In response, Campbell Clansman sent me back a poem. All was well, he was taking them to the zoo. The zoo? Would he remember the stroller? There is no way he can carry him all day! Would they wash their hands after the petting zoo? But his text said all was well.

So on the second day I started to relax. After all, a man was making me an omelet. A man! And I didn't even have to wash the pan when I was done. But I wondered what they might be doing at home, so I sent a text. Everything ok? I got another poem back. He had taken them (all 5?!) to Turkish breakfast, then on a hike into the woods. They had gotten as far as the lake. The lake?? How had he managed that? I had never even been able to hike that far in there. Did he carry Benaiah the whole way?

On the last day, I had hit my stride. I was truly enjoying myself, wondering how I ever married so well, that he could manage a weekend like this without me. Two outings they'd taken so far, and no one had even gotten stitches yet. I enjoyed the hamam, the sauna, chats with friends. It was time to come home. As much as I enjoyed the easy life for 3 days, I wouldn't trade my work or responsibilities or my precious family for anything. I missed them. I was ready to come home.

In summary, they did great without me. It wasn't until Wednesday night that I began to unlock a few mysteries. I was serving rice and a stir-fry, but we had no clean bowls. To my horror, Campbell Clansman just pulled a few dirty ones, caked with dried granola cereal, out of the dishwasher. I said, "You are going to wash those, right?" He replied, "Oh honey, if you only knew the things we did when you were gone this weekend." and proceeded to serve the rice right in them.

Yes, I think it is good that it is only once a year I do this.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Melanie Keffer said...

I was dying laughing. Sara, you have to forgive me for always saying I know, but I can't help it since I am probably a good 15 or more years older. It's just natural. What amazes me is someone else is going through the same things I always did. Would you like a forecast of your life 15 years from now?? :))

I have to take this opportunity to say I am married to the most wonderful man God ever created. I feel just like you feel about Ross. I always felt sorry for other women who didn't have a husband like mine. (Have you ever done that? Definitely love.)

One of my memories that comes to mind of my being gone is when I was in the hospital and Dave came walking in with all the kids . . . Talk about pitiful looking!! Clean, yes. Fed, sorta. I was so anxious for him to bring them to the hospital to show off my beautiful children to the nurses and here they all come looking like they had just escaped from an orphanage. Hair eschew, clothes unmatched . . . Not just unmatched, but Dave must have pulled out the oldest thing they had from the back of the drawer because they were all too little.

Anyway, you get the idea. They ate out of cans . . . Literally. Forget the crusty bowls. Why mess up a bowl?

BUT, they were loved and they had a blast with dad . . . just like I know all your kids did. Somehow God watched over them so that they didn't die of food poisoning or some gross germ. :)

Now . . . as for your retreat. My goodness! How could you not just curl up and die over being on the Aegean coast? How beautiful!!

If it had been me, I would not have been missing them as much as I would have wished they could have shared it with me. That is what I always did when I was away like that.

AH . . . I wondered about the Haman also. I still remember your description of that last year.

Mmmmm, being pampered on the Aegean Sea . . . I think I could handle that one with no guilty conscious whatsoever.

End of novel. :)

Love ya!
Mel

Deena said...

Sweet Sara - I love this! I'm so glad you got a weekend to refresh and renew!

My favorite part is trying to picture you rocking your Bible - rocking is such a precious habit - and I'm sure it's a strong one after having 5 little blessings.

Yeah for your husband with the kids! Steve does great with our sweet girl when I'm gone - except for fixing hair - it's a nightmare. I'm impressed that Ross can manage 4 girls and a boy! He's a good man - even if he feeds them out of dirty dishes! : )

Site Meter