Campbells

Campbells

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Finishing Summer Part 7: Tractor Fun





My dad's had a tractor for several years now to mow his acres, plow the garden, and all that other country stuff he does. My Papa (mom's dad) went to heaven when I was 4, but I do have memories of him. One was riding in his lap on his tractor. All my girls have taken rides with their Grandaddy on his tractor, but none of them became compulsive-tractor-riding-monsters like my son did this summer. He lunged for it. He tried to steer it. He bawled when he was taken off it. Now don't even try to tell me some type of testosterone isn't involved in that. Just the other day as I pushed him in his stroller back home, he heard a dump truck start up. He went crazy. I did have the good sense not to stick him in the lap of the driver.


Also, this summer, Firstborn got to drive the tractor for the first time. She got a detailed lesson, went through a few "learner's permit" type sessions, then she got to do it all alone. She wanted to drive it every day after that. It's hard to believe in just 6 years, she'll be wanting to be on the road. I like the idea of sticking to tractors for now...no streets to navigate, no other cars.


Here are a couple of short video clips of the 2 drivers. (If you can't access the video via email, go directly to http://www.campbellclanblog.blogspot.com/)

1 comment:

Melanie Keffer said...

Oh, how I love this post!! I grew up the same way! My papa was a farmer before I was born and then afterwards, never seemed to lose the desire to "plow dirt" even when he lived in the city. He always had a tractor, whether he had land or not. :)

Nothing like these experiences. I agree it's a man thing. They love it, don't they? My boys are the same way!

Mel

P. S. Oh . . . and about Mary Erin driving . . . The day Ben turns 1, my sweet boy will turn 15 and is sitting on ready to get his driving permit. (The girls took their time and were in no hurry.) In our family it was always the dad that taught the kids to drive, thank goodness. This Mom doesn't have the nerves for it. AFTER they learn, then I let them drive me around! :)

Site Meter