Campbells

Campbells

Monday, June 1, 2009

Sonic Sleeping

Today, I had an ultrasound performed on my leg. This was done in hopes that my insurance company will agree that we need to get my leg looking more like its actual age (37) than its perceived age (80).


During the ultrasound, I fell asleep. Why, you ask? It certainly wasn't due to the fact that my doctor looked like an honest-to-goodness Memphis panhandler. In fact, that should have awoken my senses rather than made them dormant. (I must defend him at this point and say that in spite of his mid-back length, gray, frizzy hair pulled into a pony tail, he is actually an exceptional ultrasound technician and I trusted him completely.) So, if it wasn't that, perhaps it was...the fact that I've been up with sick kids for the last two nights? The dimly lit room? The soft wooosh of the machines? When he asked me to turn over on my stomach so he could check the blood flow in my veins on the back of my leg, I began to calculate how long it had been since I'd had a really good nap on my stomach...perhaps sometime back in 2007 pre-baby? I began to realize just how relaxed I really was...no baby for which to listen...no dishwasher nearby to unload...no homework to check...and before I knew it, I was out.

Then I somehow came out of my abyss to hear him say, "Ma'am, can you take a deep breath please?" I woke up, pulled myself together, and complied, wondering why he woke me to breathe deeply, when I was already doing that in my sleep.

1 comment:

Melanie Keffer said...

Sara, I hope your legs get better.

M

Site Meter