Campbells

Campbells

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve Thoughts

Well, after 10 days of being spoiled rotten by having my entire family here, it was time to say goodbye. We washed clothes, we packed, we reminded each other how wonderful it was to be together this year. But at 1:30AM, the end came. We all came down to hug goodbye. Picture 7 of us EACH hugging 10 of them. It was a lot of hugging. Sometimes we giggled, like when Big Ben only had the stamina to hug his same-age cousin buddy and grandparents, at that late hour, then bounded back up to his snug bed. And when a cousin-buddy hugged the other one so hard she nearly fell over one of the 10 suitcases! But when it came my turn to hug my big brother, and my sister-in-law (who is in actuality a sister to me), and mom, and dad...the tears came. As they flew away, I reflected a little. I suppose it is a little easier than 16 years ago. When I used to say goodbye then, I cried with a little panic in my heart. Could I make it without them, so far away? But after so many years of God's faithfulness, I don't panic anymore. I'm just sad. I suppose I always will be. It's by far the worst part of living overseas. There are too many good things to count, but that is the hard one. Now that I have that all out, I'll turn this blog over to the fun memories of our visit. Stay tuned!

Happy New Year's Eve...stay safe!

4 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I hate saying goodbyes.........Love your blog

Jody said...

I know you don't know me - I follow your blog because I have a dear friend living overseas. She's in Africa and internet access is very poor so she does not get to blog. When I read yours, I can put a little more color into my imagined life for her.

Anyway - I am praying for you. As I told my friend, I can't imagine what you feel leaving family and friends. The pain - but also the joy in knowing...KNOWING...you are doing what God has called you to do. Praying for comfort and blessings.

Tara G. said...

I'm so glad you had the time with them- so many memories and I hope your heart is recharged until you can visit in the summer!!

Angie said...

I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be. I love that God has helped you through it all though.

Happy New Years Friend!

Site Meter