Campbells

Campbells

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Maximizing Space

Having 21 students is no big deal to me. I usually had closer to 25 when teaching in the US. The only problem is that my classroom space is limited. Even so, I knew I needed to carve out one corner for a reading nook. I remember in one classroom I had growing up, we got to climb into a giant claw-foot bathtub to read!

I organized my books on this shelf. Firstborn sewed me a few pillows for the corner. And then I threw down a Turkish rug. The kids love it!
There were many supplies and resources in the room when I got there, and I am thankful for that. I just needed to not see clutter, though. So I snagged all the photocopy boxes I could find, covered the fronts with contact paper, and created these supply boxes.
I may reorganize as the year goes on, but this got me started, at least.

4 comments:

Tara G. said...

I still remember the reading nook in my 1st grade classroom- and a cool book on Squanto! ha! We have a dormer window upstairs that I'd love to put a window seat in. You can hear the trees rustling and it's so pretty. Since the girls share a room, it'd be perfect for my oldest to use while little sister naps. I saw some cute silhouette pillows of Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott on Dear Lillie's blog- they'd be perfect up there. But first, paint colors! aaah!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsey said...

I LOOOOVE the idea of reading at school while lounging in a claw-foot bathtub!! I sooo wish I could do that! (As the teacher, not just for the students, of course!)

I also liked your idea of covering the copy-paper boxes with contact paper. Good thinking! :)

Your little room will be full of intimate memories, and you'll get to know your students VERY well in there. Maybe a little TOO well, sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Sara, why do you always provoke sweet memories for me? I am remember those elementary years of my kids and especially Kathleen's days in your classroom.

How precious those memories are to me now as my 18 (in three weeks) year old son just bent over to kiss me goodnight. My time with my last two is so short. The end is definitely in sight. Maybe that is why I am so nostalgic.

Hope you have a wonderful year!

Melanie

Nancie McClintock said...

Fabulous job! Your room is looking greater and greater! Blessed are those third graders!

Site Meter