Campbells

Campbells

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Back in the Classroom: Week 1

The word of the week: exhausted! At the end of the first day of school, I really wondered what in the world made me think I could do this. I've taught many years, but this is my first time back in a full-time position since I had my first child. But I kept telling myself that night, "Just get yourself to bed! The first week is the hardest." And I did just that. I crashed. Every night. We did have a hot meal each night, but I was a zombie by bedtime. Thursday we had a school holiday, in honor of a Turkish holiday. I stayed in pj's, made the kids crepes, sewed on a quilt I'd been wanting to work on. It was wonderful. Friday, I hit the ground running, off to school, and realized that I'd hit my stride. I was actually teaching. I wasn't answering questions about why we didn't have a class pet. Where is the bathroom? Why doesn't the girl in the seat next to me speak English? How can my parents get the supplies we need, when they don't speak English? I was actually instructing, loving, sharing, rewarding, reminding...teaching! It felt wonderful.

What I "heard" is that the returning kids were all afraid of me. Afterall, their new teacher is the principal's wife. Won't she send everyone straight to him? She doesn't look 22 years old, she must be mean. And then the parents, who sheepishly confided those tidbits to me, came to find me by Friday and said, "He loves you." and "She had a great week!" "He says it's going to be a great year!"

Here's my desk. Ideally, I should have placed it on the opposite side of the room to save some space, but I just couldn't resist the wall of windows. I had to be near them.
I have 21 kids in a very small room. We are going to learn to say, "Excuse me." and "You go ahead. I'll wait."
This is me, the night before the first day of school. I love this little mirror. Whoever looks in it gets the message we all need to hear, "Look Who God Loves." Me!

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

You are going to have the best classroom in the school and they'll all cry when they have to leave 3rd grade! And yes! I would love a Turkish bath right about now! I ironed the bedding yesterday and it made me feel better as I could see immediate results. :) And I talked to my friend Marci who is going through the same thing, and best of all- had some good time in the Word and know the Spirit spoke through that so my heart. Blesses me so much when I feel so discombobulated that God gives me those gentle reminders that He is right there with me and I'm not so crazy I'm missing His voice. I forgot to tell you I went back to this little Turkish store in Kyiv before we left and bought coasters- I had eyed them for a long time. Prayed for you this week and will continue- let me know if there is something specific to lift up! And please send your physical mailing address! :)

Nancie McClintock said...

I love how you arranged and decorated your room! It is very welcoming and attractive! I'd love it if I were a third grader! You and your students will be truly blessed with a outstanding year!

Site Meter