Campbells

Campbells

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Istanbul Instances: Sunday Morning Church


We didn't sleep that great Saturday night. Everyone heard everyone else all night. But we went downstairs to eat the simple Turkish breakfast provided, then got ready to hit the town. 
The guys studied a map to make our plan.

Though our hotel was old and on a back street, the kids woke up and opened curtains to find this beautiful view right outside.
They enjoyed the view and watching boats more than the cartoons on the tv. I don't believe they'd ever seen a cruise ship before (we saw plenty in Singapore, but I'm not sure they remembered it.). The idea of a floating hotel was intriguing to them.
We begged CC to let us ride a tram.

After our tram ride, we began walking the old cobblestone streets. In days long ago, homes that were wealthy would build a water source on the outside of their gate for the common folks to use. (You're going to see this sweater on me in every picture. I never warmed up enough to take it off!)
We walked straight uphill, but didn't mind it because we were passing such interesting houses and buildings.

Here's another picture I played around with. This is of Galata Tower, meaning Christ Tower. It was built in medieval times, in the year 1348.


CC suggested that we try to find the Dutch Embassy, where we could attend a church service. Walking, tram riding, and more walking landed us there. The Dutch have allowed believers to worship there for over 150 years.
This picture below was taken by me, but hardly explains the beauty this was to me. When you live in a place where so few believers live, meeting with other like-minded people holds a deep value. To be in a chapel built so long ago, with its old brick and rock walls, real wooden pews, big pipes for an organ behind, and especially to know that Christians are still meeting there....was a breath of fresh air for me spiritually. Everyone was so warm and friendly. If you go to church in this country, it is because you want to, not because there are social expectations. The music at Union Church of Istanbul was a mix of contemporary and very traditional. A long-haired man (who looked very much to me like a young Lionel Richie) played the drums. And yet, we read in unison the Apostle's Creed and sang, "Just As I Am." Communion was passed...grape juice around the outside of the tray, wine in the middle. It just struck me that the people had learned the meaning of unity. We all need each other, so we find a way to work around differences to the glory of God. This was just a perspective from an outsider. I appreciated it.

Just in front of me, a little Asian couple sat. We greeted each other and they told me they were from Singapore. I explained that my three older girls were born in Singapore, and we shared a hug. It's times like that that I know God is speaking to me. It was as if he said, "I have people all over. I have enough people who love Me that I can send them to this big city from that tiny island." It was also, if I can somehow put this in words, like for just a split second I was able to step back from my life and see it all at once in God's hand. He's known me all of my days...childhood, early married, the Singapore years, the new babies, the Turkey years. I am certain He arranged my seating that day just as a gentle reminder to me that He has all of my life in His hand, and though the days stretch on for me, none of them are lost to Him. The music was beautiful, the message was timely. May God be praised! (This was my favorite event of the trip.)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! I related to all you said! Not totally from personal experience but some from Kathleen who shared with me the joy of finding evangelical Christians in France, a place where there are very, very few such people.

She spoke of the same things you spoke of and how it thrilled her soul to be able to sing hymns with fellow believers. She, too, talked of how warm and friendly they were, how the pastor was careful to use English, along with French for the sake of the English speaking visitors and so on . . . (Something French people DO NOT normally do. You speak their language, they do not condescend to speak yours even if they can.) And in France, it is considered rude to come or go from a place without speaking and say hello or goodbye, especially if you were spoken to coming in so at church their custom of speaking was that much more meaningful and she shared how she enjoyed speaking to each and every person she came in contact with at church.

The reason Kathleen loved France so was because of C. She saw Him in everything. Just like you Sara, she saw the beauty of God's creation. It jumped out at her and the pictures she took, while not professional pictures, still showed the beauty of God's that no camera could fully capture.

I don't mean to talk about Kathleen, but you so reminded me of her similar experience in France and the love she still has for those people where she lived that summer. She could only go to service every other Sunday and she cherished each time she went, often by herself.

I know God planted that love in Kathleen's heart, just like He has in yours. Sitting back looking on, it is so easy to see and blesses my soul to hear about it.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Melanie

Anonymous said...

I had to mention how cute Ben was helping Papa with the map!! :)

M

In His Strong Arms said...

You are an inspiration in the way you see the Lord at work in your lives. When you left the comforts of Singapore to embrace on your journey to a distant land... we were encouraged to see a young family totally trusting God for the future. You are a blessing, and we are blessed to know you.

Site Meter