Campbells

Campbells

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Istanbul Instances: Scenes


These are all pictures I took while on our two hour boat ride. I enjoyed using the panorama setting on my camera. Above is a picture of the Sultan's palace.

Below are pictures of the castle I mentioned yesterday. It was built by an Ottoman Sultan in 1451. Built with slave labor, it was finished in 4 months.  I read that many years ago, one Venetian boat refused to stop when commanded to halt by the fortress commander, and all surviving crewman were impaled as a warning to others. I was prepared to make sure our Captain understood the rules if necessary.



This palace was built in 1874.

And then we passed many modern homes, which I enjoyed looking at as well....I was wondering where these properties might be on a game of Monopoly...near Boardwalk, I suspect.

By this time, Big Ben had curled up in my lap for a nap, so Sweet Cheeks and I played a game of "Pick your favorite house." This was hers.

This little island in the Sea was called Maiden's Tower. It was originally built in 408BC! It was restored and renovated by both the Byzantine emperor in 1110AD and then by the Ottoman Turks in 1509 and 1763.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

So pretty! Quick question- will you be back to the States next summer? Assuming yes...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Almost takes your breath, doesn't it? We are so used to America where anything old is 100 to 150 years old . . . Just a baby next to the rest of the world.

Would love to see all that.

M

Site Meter