Campbells

Campbells

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Science Fair Wrap Up

I haven't blogged much this week! We are on our 5 week countdown til summer. It seems our schedule is in reverse proportion. The less time we have, the busier we get!

Friday night was our Annual Science Fair for grades 3-6. This was our "one" year to have 3 kids in the fair. Twinkle Toes scrapped the bacteria project when we could not get any bacteria growing after two weeks. Instead, she did a fabulous project on fingerprinting. The research was fascinating. We discovered that even identical twins have different fingerprints. T. Toes investigated at what temperature a fingerprint will be clearest. Her advice to the FBI? Lift your fingerprint samples in a cold room! (We also discovered that we can now easily identify who keeps putting fingerprints on Mama's windows!) Twinkle Toes took First Place for Fourth Grade. Way to go!
Firstborn had an agenda this year. She wanted to do something hard, something that would enable her to record lots of data, and something that she got to burn! We searched for hours, but most of the projects that fit her bill were for high school or college students and required more than our kitchen to do. Finally, I sent her on to bed and said, "I'll search a few more minutes, then let's call it quits." About five minutes after she went to bed, I bounded up the stairs and said, "I've got it!!! You get to BURN!" We raced back down and sure enough, she fell in love with the idea. Firstborn investigated biofuels and non-renewable fuels to determine which type of fuel was more efficient. She learned much from her research and offered good advice to her report readers. Non-renewable fuels are more productive, but biofuels will certainly deplete less of the earth. She also cautioned the exclusive use of biofuels, as they could soon replace the farmland we need for food. She took an honorable mention for her efforts. Well done!

Miss Middler researched what liquid will rust a nail the quickest. Her answer? Vinegar! We charted the acidity in each liquid. She won an award from her teacher for recording the most data.

I'm proud of you, girls! Win or lose, you worked hard. Twinkle Toes, I'll never forget mashing my thumb in baking cocoa all afternoon. Firstborn, I'll never forget the joy of finding "the perfect project" together. And Miss Middler, whether you got a ribbon or not, your board was by far the cutest in the whole school. A picture of a face as cute as yours with goggles that swallow it, is first place in my book anyday!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tara G. said...

Just think of all the projects that little boy will come up with- bet he won't wait for the science fair either! :) Way to go, girls!!

Anonymous said...

The girls are all beautiful. Congratulations to them all!! Those projects are lots of hard work (for parents too)!!

Oh Sara . . . This is only the beginning. I thought of you yesterday thinking, "You ain't seen nuthin' yet" as far as busy. You would think, I always did, that when they are young you are the busiest. Not so.

Wait until they get high school and college age and you have multiple ones in college . . . Ahah, ha. . . That is all I can say. Somedays I feel like my brain is burned to a crisp. Not because I have to help with schoolwork anymore, it is all the other things that fry my head.

Just wait!! You will say, "Mel told me about this . . . " You can't say I am warning you because to warn you would imply you could avoid it. Nope, no backing out of it now. Once they are born, we are doomed!!! ;))

You will be how old when Ben is in high school? I think you were about the age with Ben, I was when my youngest was born . . . Yep, you are doomed!! LOL Oh, and brace yourself, boys ARE different. Wonderful as they are. I have some of the sweetest and best sons any mother could have but they are oh, so different. That part might not shock you so much since you grew up with a brother. You are more used to boys than I was. I had a sister, no brothers. Raising boys has been quite a journey for me.

Just thinking about you, and I know that neither you, nor I, would trade what we are doing for anything . . . But it still doesn't mean I am not laughing. :)

Mel

Site Meter