Campbells

Campbells

Monday, March 2, 2009

Grub

Well it has been a hard week indeed. Starting from the top: my infection last Friday, Mary Erin's arrival back to Ankara with a sinus infection, Esther's Scarlet Fever and strep throat, my grandmother's death on Thursday night, and then little Benaiah's pink eye to round the week off. (Ross told him it was pretty hard to avoid pink at this house.) But as we crept through the week, taking it one day at a time, I sensed God was very near. Isn't it wonderful to have a God who hears and who is available anytime?

One highlight of the week was getting to start Benaiah on real food. Considering the fact that he weighs in at 21 pounds (at 5 months), I felt we should start some food groups other than dairy! He took it like a champ.

Most of it went down, anyway.

And after only 1 week of real food, he seems to be already expecting it when we sit down at the table.

There are many things from 'scratch' that I do not enjoy making. I only am a scratch cooker because I have to be. However, making baby food is fun to me.
My biggest 3 reasons for making my own baby food are:
1. It's healthier.
2. It's cheaper.
3. I always think about the baby I am making it for while I am preparing it. And on Friday, as I made batches of pears, bananas, carrots and zucchini, it gave me a wonderful diversion from the fact that I am far far away while my family is in Virginia celebrating my grandma's homegoing. Granny loved babies. And Granny loved babies eating baby food. I believe she understood I needed to be here taking care of my babies.

4 comments:

Gina said...

sorry about your granny Sara, you have had a rough week. Praying for you.

Melanie Keffer said...

I've always said children are wonderful medicine when life is hard. God certainly knew what He was doing when He designed the family. Can't you see how much He loved us? We brought death on ourselves through sin, but look what a loving Father did to help us bear the sorrow.

Sara, you share your life, your ups and downs, on this blog and I guess that is why it is such a blessing. You don't know how much I want to write about my grandmother and the first solid foods my kids ate . . . . (Notice I am resisting!) The reason is because our families seem to parallel one another so much. I was mentioning this to my mother not long ago. That is another reason I enjoy your blog. It brings back wonderful memories.

So, if I am ever annoying with my recollections, just let me know! Your grandmother sounds so much like mine. I can absolutely relate to how much you are going to miss her.

And about the cooking . . . I cook from scratch because that is the way my mother did it. If the truth were told, I don't like to cook!! :) I DO LIKE to fix for my family and if that happens to be food, then so be it. I get a lot of pleasure out of doing for them. Otherwise, I'd never cook. I would also never sew but because it pleases them and is such a joy to do for them, I've done a lot of sewing in my day.

I wonder what it is I do like to do, now that I am on the subject?? I love anything creative, drawing, painting, etc. I could do that kind of thing all day long and when I got tired of that, read a good mystery book.

I love my family and it makes me happy to work at being a good mother and a good wife.

Not sure how I got into that. I never know what I am going to say once I get started but I did not relay my old memories, did I? I was determined this time!! Ha.

Bye for now. How it must have please your Granny to name Eva after her! Benaiah is something else, isn't he? The picture of the girls with their Webkinz is another one of my favorites.

Melanie

Bill said...

Sara/Ross ... I check in here periodically; and I did today to read of your rough week. So sorry to learn of your grandmother's passing. I don't know about her. I hope she knew Christ.

But what you posted today fit right in with the blog I posted for today @ http://elderberry.blogspot.com/ . There are many things in our lives which we do out of necessity or habit, not realizing that they are the actions God is using to shape our lives and to prepare us for that day like your Granny has experienced, when we go home ... or for that day when Christ returns for His Bride.

What you posted yesterday, Sara, is exemplary of that; and it certainly encouraged me to take a more intense stock of what I'm doing to see if I'm getting ready for Christ the way I should be or as God's word exhorts me (see Rev. 19: 7 - 8).

Blessings and prayers ... Erin's daddy ... Bill

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Site Meter