Campbells

Campbells

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scattering of (our daily) Bread

When I was a little girl, my father always read us a Bible story out of this book after dinner.

In fact, this was the book that he was reading when I asked him if I could 'repay' Jesus somehow for dying for me. That conversation led to the talk we had on the garage step, on his knee, when I accepted Christ as my atonement. Two summers ago, Ross brought my childhood book back to Turkey with us. We've been steadily working through its truths with our kids each night. Did you have a book like this one back in the 70's or beyond?

Recently, I was surfing dayspring.com for some good after Christmas deals for our school's craft fair. I happened upon this item on clearance.
Did you ever have one of these? I am not sure if we had one, but I do remember my Grandma Fish had one. Inside this little plastic loaf of bread called Our Daily Bread are hundreds of King James Version Bible verses, all promises of God. It brought back such great memories of my grandma's house, I bought it. We began steadily working through this as well, memorizing those great promises. However, we had to make a rule about the bread box. As tempting as it is to pick up, hold, shuffle, and flip through, it easily topples over and all the promises spill. Because this has happened several times already and because we are trying to memorize the verses (hence the need to keep them in order), we told the kids not to pick it up. When their card color comes, they draw it out and teach the rest of us the verse. Other than that, don't touch.
Tonight Ross asked Mary Erin to bring the bread box in so we could review. He set it down on the table next to him. Then he read out of the Bible story book above. Jesus healed a man with an unclean spirit. "What do you mean, unclean spirit?" they asked. We explained they were workers of Satan, demons, fallen angels. One of them piped up, "The ones on the Devil's side." Right. Then as Ross explained that the demon caused the man to fall upon the ground, the girls all said, "How'd he do that?!" So, Ross began to flail, throw his arms, and foam at the mouth. (Ok, he didn't really foam, but you get the idea.) Just then, his loose bodily movements knocked over all our Daily Bread verses. Total scattering. All over the den floor. Ross sheepishly stopped his re-enactment. I tried not to laugh. I tried.

2 comments:

Melanie Keffer said...

YES! I had such a Bible story book. We also had a the blue set of Bible story books and that was what my dad read from. I remember what good care he took of them. We were never allowed to play with those. If I had a picture, I'm sure you'd remember. Then my dad bought me a big thick book of the entire Bible and its stories in 1969. I remember how picky my parents were that the stories actually follow the Bible.

I have the "blue set" of Bible stories and also my personal Bible story book with me now and have read to my kids out of both! You should see how marked up my story book is. Daniel and the three Hebrew children was a favorite story. I remember doing "research" and making notes in the margins. I was only nine years old!! :)

As for the Daily Bread . . . My, my who could forget that? It is funny that you mentioned the thing I remember most and that is it topples over so easy! We used to do Bible drills with ours. Daddy would read a reference and we'd have to give him the verse or vice-versa.

Not sure whatever happened to the daily bread, but I do still have the books.

Melanie

Bteacher99 said...

Oh, I wish you'd had your camera running at that moment!!

We had "Little Moments with God" (Book 2, I think, and I always wondered where Book 1 was!) We also had the bread loaf.

Site Meter