Campbells

Campbells

Monday, March 9, 2009

Turkish Coffee

Ross never was much of a coffee drinker 'until he married' he says. I did persuade him how nice a cup of flavored decaf could be after dinner. Truthfully, I don't drink it daily. I make it for brunches. Sometimes I have a cup at school. I do love my father-in-law's coffee. I think it's the half-and-half that makes it so wonderful. I also drink coffee in the morning when I visit my parents. Who could resist a fridge of International Delights flavored creamers? (A team once came here to encourage some of us. They brought 'treats,' one of which was International Delights single serving creamers. We stuffed our pockets with them.)

But who could have known, when I encouraged Ross to try a cup of decaf and 'fixed' it up for him with sugar and cream, that I would have started his addiction to Turkish coffee. Let me tell you, folks, it's the real stuff. It is made with the finest ground coffee beans available (more finely ground than an espresso), cold water, and the amount of sugar ordered. Then the pot is put on the stove and not stirred again, lest it disturb the foam. Ross orders it with sugar. I would like, one day, to be with someone who orders it without sugar and watch them choke it down. I must say Ross is beyond adorable when he hems and haws after the meal, perusing the menu, and then blurts out, "I am getting a Turkish coffee." I try not to smile. I have never once ordered the stuff. I only take a sip of his, close my eyes, clutch my stomach, and say, "How can you drink that?!" But he loves it. He usually gets a grin or a wink or even a pat on the back from our waiter when he orders it. They love it that he loves their coffee. For, it is a man's drink, for sure.
This picture was taken as Ross was saying, "Are you taking my picture drinking it? Why? For your blog?"
Then he posed. But I didn't think he looked natural, so I made him smile again.

It's still not as cute as it could be. He is just so cute ordering that coffee and getting it down.

You don't actually drink the bottom 1/3 of the coffee. It is sludge. Pure, thick, brown coffee sludge.

So, would you try it?




5 comments:

Gina said...

oh yeah, I love coffee and am pretty brave to try new things...I am "in". You are both adorable. Him for smiling nicely for your blog photo and you because I imagine you have a big smile taking the photo.

SevenSwansaswimming said...

I happen to be a coffee lover, but that is a little "thick" looking for me!

Melanie Keffer said...

Nope.

Being the eldest "son" of a man with no biological sons, I learned many of the manly arts -- shooting, fishing, and how to play a mean game of seven card stud deuces wild . . . but I drew the line at coffee drinking.

I'll stick to cold homemade lemonade on the lawn under a big oak tree . . . .

Sara, Sara -- Should I even bother to say how this reminds me of us? My latest project is snapping pictures of David wearing the gun holsters he has made. I want to enter him in a photo contest. :)

Ross is such a good sport, like David is. Isn't life grand?

Melanie

minda312 said...

I worked at Starbucks and can drink coffee with the best of them....but when it came to Turkish coffee- I had to say no!!!!

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Turkish coffee?! I have a good friend who makes it, and I actually really like it!

Site Meter