Campbells

Campbells

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dr. Pepper Disaster


Dr. Pepper is an American product not sold in Turkey. Of course you want what you can't have, so during the summers in the good ol' USA I always get Dr. Pepper when we go out to eat. One sweet friend with US base access here in Turkey bought me a 12 pack of Dr. Peppers. I made it last for 6 months. For those of you who are mathematically challenged like me, that means I drank 2 a month for 6 months. One way I made them last was to NOT refrigerate them. Who wants a warm Pepper? When I got a strong enough urge, I'd throw one in the fridge and have it while NO one else was in the house. (Esther got the "Sharing is Caring" award in Kindergarten, I am not sure I'd be nominated.) Well I got to my last can in the 12 pack and wanted it badly that day, so I threw it in the freezer. Then I forgot about it. The next day as I reached in for some frozen veggies, out came a bloated can, oozing from the top, ready to explode. So instead of enjoying my last Dr. Pepper, I poured out the thick syrup threatening to erupt and set the can down in a coffee mug. It would no longer sit on its own. Then I had to wipe out my freezer. I am sure there is a Biblical principle here, but I haven't figured it out yet. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Natalie said...

i wouldn't have been nominated either. i tend to be fairly greedy with my american goodies. i don't crave them like i used to, but i still ration them when i have them!

Michele said...

Ecclesiastes 11:2 (The Message)
"Don't hoard your goods; spread them around.
Be a blessing to others. This could be your last night" (or last can of DP)

Although if you prefer, we could look in Proverbs too..

:)

Sarahbeth said...

I have that kind of relationship with Dr. Pepper, too. I don't blame you for keeping them all to yourself!

Melanie Keffer said...

Poor Sara, mayonnaise hair and a busted Dr. Pepper! What a week.

My mother's favorite phrase from the Bible jumps to mind . . . "Let him deny himself." While it's definitely out of context, I've been hit with it many times, in many situations.

If it is any consolation, which it won't be, I've struggled with the same thoughts over my favorite foods. In my case, I would always see my dad's face in front of me, and I'd let go and share. Share, in the sense that I usually didn't get much or any of what I was sharing. Daddy was the most unselfish person I know.

I'm not sure there's a moral to my story but there is one good thing about it and that is when I see my kids give to other people things they really want themselves. It is as that moment that whatever I didn't get, that I wanted, is worth it. I hope they do that because Mom has been a good example to them, but at least I have helped reinforce it.

I am not in a foreign country where I can't get the things I love . . . Trust me, though, temptation is still the same all over the world. :)

Love,
Melanie

Katie said...

Rebecca is my Dr. Pepper lover - it would make her sad that you get so few!

Site Meter