Campbells

Campbells

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Manna for Today

Today the kids had no clubs or lessons after school, so we all came home together and had an early dinner. After dinner, chores, and bedtime prep, I suggested the unthinkable. Now for some of you, this wouldn't be unthinkable, it would be normal, something you do every weekend. But for me, it was big. CC has skipped the country, and I am a single-mom for a couple of weeks. I teach part of the day, have a toddler, a preschooler, and 3 school-aged kids. I live in a foreign country. Yes, it's home, but many things are, and will perhaps always be, foreign. All that to say, I could potentially be considered to be in high stress mode. However, I have asked the Lord one specific request daily for these couple of weeks. I just want his 'manna' for each day. Whatever provision He gives me that provides the grace for just that day, that's what I want. So, I wondered tonight, as I suggested to all my little dears that we ALL bake sugar cookies, would His manna be enough? Would I get stressed out? Would I think the clean-up was surely not worth all the trouble? Would I have to finish up batch after batch of cookies after they'd all gone to bed and regret the whole thing? I only slept a handful of hours last night, then taught school, then been mommy all afternoon. But I felt like the idea was from Him, would his manna be enough?

It was. I had the time of my life. An egg fell on the floor. Hey, it's not the end of the world. Everyone had already brushed teeth, then ate sugar cookie dough. No biggie. Flour on noses. Sticky dough that had to be re-rolled. One batch got burned. But we had a great time.
Even a little guy in Stuart plaid pj's showed up, wanting in on the action. We finally locked him in the den and took turns doing Big Ben duty. Think of it like a cop's shift.
And then Firstborn got out her 'Shuffle' (that's a little thing the size of a matchbox that plays 200 songs) and set up speakers and we enjoyed music.
And then Steven Curtis Chapman's song Cinderella came on. You know that one...it's about the girl who dances with her daddy, then she grows up and goes to prom, then grows up more and gets married. I really try not to cry in front of my kids, but the manna had been so perfectly adequate and all I could think about was "This is only a season, I won't have them forever." I enjoyed my kids so much. And I know I won't have them forever. So I teared up. Then one of them teared up, too, and said, "Don't worry, Mama, I don't want to leave you. I won't go to college." And so today, I pray you gather His manna, whatever grace you need for today. I sure am glad I did.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

becca said...

Its hard for me to hear that song too.
And sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your question. I can't comment from google reader which is how I read most of the time on my blackberry. But, the picture in my header was taken by a pro... David's brother. He's been a photographer for as long as I've known him.

Melanie Keffer said...

Sara, what a sweet post. It almost made me cry. You know how I have been, if you've had time to stop and think - ha, how I've been over Kathleen leaving for college and Karoline goes this fall, one year later than she should have. That was my manna - Thank you Lord for that delay. :)

Anyway, I relate, I relate, I relate!!

I will tell you that it is always easy to get involved in other "important" things, but in my own life, I have a firm belief that nothing is more important that raising the children God entrusted to my care and being a good wife to the husband He gave me. He gave me these people in my life and they enrich my life so much!!

Also, I have found that my kids never were the ones that caused me stress. . . . It was the outside things or trying to do "everything" at once. But when left with just my kids to care for, they were not stressful. Ever notice how what God means for us to do is not stressful???

Thanks for sharing this.

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Aw Sara! I'M almost getting teary!! I wish I got to know your girls better. I'm so glad y'all had such a fun night last night. Big hugs, and many blessings! Miss you!

Kelley said...

beautiful...in every way :)

Anonymous said...

i love it! what a great momma! i fell on your blog by chance. i love to read katie's blog and saw your comment! how fun! i hope y'all are doing well and know you are prayed for this day...that He will be all you need each and every day and that you can rejoice always...even in the cracked egg on the floor! you always inspire me every time i have seen and heard you speak. you are a huge beacon of light for all who know you!! Blessings, Veronica Berry

The Fish Family said...

Really good post, Sis.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post. Such a precious mom. Your girls and boy are blessed.

Site Meter