Campbells

Campbells

Thursday, December 3, 2009

"I ordered."

Perma Baby has learned some magic words. "I ordered." This week she came home and plopped down a Styrofoam box with a mostly eaten pide, a few teaspoons of bulgar rice, and a piece or two of turkey kebab in it. I said, "Where did this come from?" She said, "I ordered." I said, "You what? You didn't order a school lunch today. I didn't order you a school lunch!" So I called the school (it's handy when you help run the place and need to know something like this, you just call). I asked my friend Brenda, "What in the world? I didn't order her a turkey kebab." She said, "I'll find out..." She called back. Perma Baby's teacher said Eva didn't have a lunch. So, she got her one of the extra hot lunches. I replied, "Didn't have a lunch?! I packed it myself." Around the corner came Perma Baby. Big smile. "I ordered." Evidently she ate most of her lunch at snack break, then wolfed down her sandwich, then said the magic words to her teacher, "I ordered." I suppose she's heard her classmates say, "I ordered." and then come to the table with a nice big hot lunch. Campbell Clansman asked me at dinner tonight if I had talked to her yet about saying, "I ordered." when she didn't really order. Sure, I talked to her. But you've got to admit, it was funny.

2 comments:

Melanie Keffer said...

I am dying laughing. Eva is my girl!! That is so cute. Anything she does is cute, actually. :)

I just love it!

Mel

P. S. I also get a kick out of your description of food there . . . saying, "bulgar rice and turkey kebabs" like we say cheeseburger and fries. Turkish food is so interesting.

Oh, and I loved the post about the embassies. Like my dad used to say, "You can't beat that with a stick," can you? :) Sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I loved this! My kind of child - eating two lunches when you can get them! I am so enjoying the blog!
jamie (scholik)

Site Meter