Campbells

Campbells

Sunday, August 26, 2012

How To Make Korean Bulgogi

My sweet Korean friend offered a mini cooking demonstration to me and a couple of friends. I jumped at the chance...Korean food is some of my favorite. (The Koreans at our school don't know that their food is the real reason we have International Day.) Would you like to know how to make bulgogi, a favorite in Korea? Here's what she showed me.

Rinse your beef, letting it soak in water a few minutes.
 Ingredients: 800 gm (or almost 1 lb) of beef (in Turkish, it could be antrikot, contrafile); 1 onion, 350 gm (or about 12 ounces) or mushrooms; 1 carrot; 2-3 green onions; 1 Tbsp red wine; 4 Tbsp soy sauce; 2 tsp garlic powder; 1 tsp black pepper; 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds; 2 tsp sesame oil; 1 Tbsp of honey; 2 Tbsp white sugar
 Slice the onion into half-moons, then thin strips.
 The beef should be sliced, long ways, then into small bite-sized strips.
Carrots should be cut into matchsticks. Also cut the mushrooms (small slices) and the green onion (small pieces).
First add all of the sauces and spices to the beef. Then toss in the onion, carrots, mushroom, green onion. Place it in the fridge for about an hour if you have time.
Stir fry about 1/2 the batch at a time. As it begins to cook, taste test. Our Korean friend added up to 2-3 Tbsp of sugar and soy sauce each to that half-batch at this point.
 Serve with some sticky rice. This wouldn't last long at my house!
I'm putting this one on our meal rotation. Anyone have a favorite Asian dish to add? Send me a comment and I'll post your recipe!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Sara, this looks great! I can't wait to try it!

A.K.W. said...

Yum! Haven't had Korean Bulgogi in a long time, I was adopted from Korea at 9 mos. old and my sister was 4 mos. old and had lots of Korean friends that would cook for us and that was one thing that they made for us. But we don't eat a whole lot of beef now though.

Amy

Hong Gie Kim's Family said...

Sara thank you so much for posting
It looks great!!!

Site Meter