Campbells

Campbells

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Singapore in Seven: Finding our First Home

We allotted a little time by ourselves to explore. And we knew exactly where we wanted to go first....our first apartment. We boarded the same bus number we rode in 1997. We got off and began cutting through the back streets, the same one where we once saw a rat the size of a cat! (That was some culture shock!) We wound our way through and came out where we thought our apartment should have been. It was replaced by a high rise. I began to tear up. I told CC I waited too long to come back. It's gone. It made me incredibly sad not to see it, though I was not surprised because it was the type of apartment that would be torn down and replaced. Then he said, "No no wait. We haven't gone far enough..." We wound our way through some more streets....


And suddenly, there it was. So many stories I could tell, but after apartment hunting with a map and newspaper and a borrowed house phone (yes), we stumbled on this little two room apartment as newlyweds. Ours was the bottom right corner.

What sold us on it was the little outdoor patio. It provided a place to breathe.

It used to leak during big storms, so CC devised a way to trap the water outside and prevent it from coming in our door. His fix was still there.

Our front door. Our only door!

As I peeked inside (empty now), I could not believe how small it was. Behind the glass, you can see to the left was my kitchen. To my right was the den. Walking through that room brought us to the bedroom and bath. I'm not sure how many square feet it was, but I do know I could clean it ceiling to floor and light a scented candle in about 45 minutes! I did that every Saturday. Oh, the days before kids.

It brought me great joy to see this place. It was a place where I learned to live as a newly married far away from the familiar. It was a place I learned to trust the Lord more deeply.

No comments:

Site Meter