Campbells

Campbells

Monday, August 27, 2018

Singapore in Seven: College Green

Our last year in Singapore, we moved to a little attached house with some yard around it. It was a dream come true for me, as I always wanted to have a house....at least my own front door. We just lived there a year until God called us away to live in Turkey, but it was perfect timing. I had three very little girls and was home all day with them while CC worked at the school. Having that little house was so good for that time.

We wanted to visit the places we lived, so we went first for breakfast at our old hawker center. By that last year there when I had children who were 3, 2, and 1, CC had suggested that I just focus on the house and kids and that we could eat local food for dinner. It was cheap and just a short walk away. I have so many memories of these little stalls and wheeling in my three little girls (all piled in a double stroller). I remember Firstborn learning how to ask, by herself, for extra sugar. I remember Twinkle Toes, at just 2 years old, chowing down on the spicy Indian curries. (That should have been an indication that she will always order the spicy dishes!) I remember my baby Miss Middler, happily gnawing on some Indian prata in her stroller. So many good memories of that place.


It all looked exactly the same, down to the "Fruit Lady" who was not supposed to solicit customers, but would always walk by and say, "You want fruit?" Then the other fruit lady would get angry. According to our friends, there was an article about a big fight that occurred between two fruit ladies at this very hawker center. We would always finish off our dinner with a big plate of cut fruit for $2.

And here was our house, on the left side where you see the tiny red mailbox.

The back yard was a common area, but my little girls played out there every day.

This was the back of our house (right). We had a grating up on the window in the babies' room to keep them from getting out of the window. Little Twinkle Toes used to climb it like a monkey when she was supposed to be sleeping.

I took a couple of pictures looking in the window. My kitchen and dining room....

....and the den. Where Miss Middler broke the stair gate free and rode it down the stairs like a sled.

I am thankful for so many good memories at 22 College Green.


No comments:

Site Meter