Campbells

Campbells

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Singapore in Seven: Snapshots

My time there was so limited. My first 6 years of marriage were spent on this beautiful island. And I had 7 days to take it all in again after so many years. I snapped many pictures as the week progressed. Here are a few with some captions....

I loved seeing the historical evidence of the British influence and colonization of Singapore. A few of the old bungalows remain.

It was pouring the day we first drove by what used to be "our first school." We stepped off the bus that first morning and saw the campus. It was a public school building built decades ago, which one housed prisoners of war from WWII. Many ghost stories floated around. We grew to love that little campus, where CC first became a teacher and I learned how to live far away from home. That land was so valuable, and the government took it back (before we left Singapore), tore down the old concrete school buildings, and built a condo there just behind these trees.

This building symbolizes answered prayer. Once we found out the land was reverting back to the government, my husband and brother (working there with us at the time) scoured the city for months and months. Just prior to being forced to announce the close of our school due to the inability to find a suitable campus, God provided this building. The guys had even seen that campus, but had been told it wasn't for rent. In one of those "Just In Time" moments, God provided. I will never forget painting it, organizing a short term team to come and move our campus, trimming the trees, moving in. I had 3 little girls with me in those days.

After a short drive through memory lane, we went downtown to see old Chinatown.


Some things just haven't changed at all, like the beautiful store fronts with AC units hiding in the back.





And the national flower which grows so well....orchids!

Believe it or not, this interesting, massive building is public housing!

A beautiful country, what a gift for me to see it again!

No comments:

Site Meter