Campbells

Campbells

Sunday, October 1, 2017

6000 Mile Care Packages

I left some goodies with Firstborn before I boarded the plane. I wish I could do the monthly care package like a real mom (!), but shipping from here is...a long story. But I thought that anytime someone was heading to the US and would be willing to take something to mail, I would do that.

A friend was heading to the US for a wedding and told me she had tons of luggage space. Additionally, she would see Firstborn at that wedding, so she could just hand it to her! So, we all whipped off some notes. The morning that my friend was leaving, and I was to give her the package, I glanced at the notes written by my other kids. I mean this was AS WE WERE LEAVING FOR SCHOOL. And I just stood there in the laundry room and sobbed. I took this picture. I know that it may not make much sense, but every little sketch means something. And it will mean something to Firstborn, even down to the one sister holding a dollhouse doll and the other holding a horse. She will get it all.

And...what do you send a kid that lives in America and for the first time, can get anything she wants 1.5 miles away at Walmart? You send her Turkey stuff. I sent her helva, sarma, cay, salep, and Turkish dark chocolate. I also tucked in a cute bag my Singaporean friend gave me. Her sis sent her "The Kissing Hand" in Turkish. A few of her "aunties" sent her notes and even chocolate Turkish delight. She will cherish each part, we hope. And let me just go on record saying, the care package purchasing kills me. I stood in the grocery store aisle with tears rolling down my face. Not figurative tears. I suppose I'm going to have to muddle through Turkish to my local grocery store friends what's going on.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, bless your heart. Bless your heart! Care packages weren't an issue with us somehow and I am not sure the exact reason. I know it will seem like it was because we were here in the states where we could mail, and that would be right but there was another reason I think. Kathleen's dear grandfather passed away just a few months before she left for college. The week before he died, he made my mother promise to buy 'his baby' a car. So, with all our grieving and Daddy's last instructions (for all the grandkids, not just Kathleen) we really could not think of too much to send. Poor Kathleen. Looking back, she was swamped in sentimental mush and gush. I laugh about it now. She literally had every thing her Papa even remotely thought about her having. As for Dave and I, we took turns finding each other in our closet (where we thought no one would see us) crying. :) I sat around telling God that there was no way He could have meant for families to be separated that way. :)

How's Papa adjusting to ME being gone?

Mel

Anonymous said...

I just had another thought . . . Isn't God good to you to let you have a way to send the occasional care package? I think it is great. I know it means a lot to you. Just thought of that and how much God sees our hearts. :)

Mel

P. S. Excuse my spelling on the different posts.

Sara Campbell said...

Mel, she got her care package and it of course made her cry. She sent us back notes. I simply could not read it until I had no students coming in. It was so precious and talked about how God was helping me love her perfectly from so far away. It was a real boost to my spirits b/c it seemed like, through that, God reminded me that He is helping me do what I am supposed to do right now. I remember your daddy so well. What a guy!!! Loved him. We are still driving the van that they helped us purchase with his memorial. I think he would be proud to know that we have fit 14 people in an 8 passenger van! :)

Anonymous said...

Sara, that is so wonderful about the notes ME sent. So precious. Thank you for sharing these stories.

God knows us all, doesn't He? Oh how He takes such good care of us. As for my dad, well, there is just not another like him. He loved us all so.

I can imagine how ME's words warmed your heart. Daddy would be indeed be pleased that he was able to have a part in the van but I can tell you for sure, if he were here still, you would have a another new one by this point. :) He would find a way. Not because of him but he would ask God to allow him to buy you a new one. That was the way he was.

Ah . . . I am enjoying your posts as always.

Mel

Site Meter