Campbells

Campbells

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Capturing Cappadocia: Horseback Riding

Our second big adventure was horseback riding. Papa sat this one out and sent me on with the kids. This was taken just outside the ranch.

And this one. Big Ben's gotta climb on a tractor.

They saddled the horses up. We all looked to Firstborn for advice. She's just about the only one who knows anything about horseback riding! They actually had us sign a disclaimer. That was a first in Turkey.

Sweet Cheeks had decided to do it, until she saw the horses and was hoisted up. Then she was deathly afraid. I am sure some of you readers would have handled it differently, but we determined this was a time to require her to do it. We encouraged and assured her that the guide would be riding right next to her. She was crying, but we held our ground. (Did I ever mention she is my baby?)

And we were off with our Afghan guide.

The trick to riding here is first of all, the terrain is rugged, so you do have to steady yourself, shift, and hold on. Also, the horses are not really trail trained. The minute they get out of the corral, they want the nice fresh grass. Constantly.

Within a few minutes, I had a smile from her. She was glad she did it.
And this is where we rode. Beautiful!




My horse was ornery. That's even an understatement. "Ruzgar" (Wind) was downright rotten. She stopped at every patch she could find. The guide told me to pull her, kick her, cluck at her. But she played me for the fool. And we were pretty much behind and off trail the entire time. When Ruzgar saw the corral in the distance, she planted her feet and would NOT budge. Everyone else was back at the ranch, and I was stuck on a horse that would not budge. I seriously could not stop laughing. What should I do? Get off and walk? I had kicked her as hard I could humanly could. She didn't care. The grass was sweeter. Finally, the ranch hands drove up on a motorscooter. The minute Ruzgar saw them, she took off in a dead run to the corral. I got the ride of my life. I felt like I was filming a western!

Here we are with our horses. And sore rumps.



Ruzgar the Rotten.

And then our ranch friends took Big Ben on a promised ride around the corral. He only wanted to go if big sis would go with him.

And then he loved it, too.
Super fun day. Super fun stories to laugh about later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!! Goodness, gracious . . . Who in the world would DARE comment about you making SC ride??

I feel like dirt when I even dare comment like I did recently! Uh hum! :).

I have had a dose of someone doing that to me recently over a matter and Sara, I hope and pray God always reminds me of the manners I was taught growing up and to keep my mouth shut and my nose out of other people's business. I admit I have been sucked in a couple of times . . . The downside of social media, but it is the height of rudeness in my opinion and I do not like it!

:))). And just think, you wrote this sweet wonderful post about a fun experience and I have ranted on!

It looked like fun and made me miss having horses. I married a truly modern day cowboy who definitely had a gift when it came to horses. Our kids spent many enjoyable hours on horseback in the pasture behind our house. I spent many a date on horseback, pre-marriage.

I can't say I would ever do it without David but the experience was awesome. He made me learn to ride without holding on and my final test was a dead run across an open field with both hands in the air. That means you only have your legs to help you hang on and you stay balanced or else . . . Just a tad risky, but I was on his horse who he had trained himself and David trusted the horse, knew what the horse would and wouldn't do, and so did I. Besides, Dave had taught me well, even how to fall off if need be, how to stop him if the reins broke, etc.

Now, wonder how many would be critical of that?? Haha.

Everyone of our kids was on the back of a horse with their dad at six months old. Everyone. It was not as as bad as it sounds because their dad was that good at what he did.

Not sure how I got into that long winded tale but so glad you all had a good time! You have really made me want to visit Turkey!!

Mel

Tara G. said...

Hilarious! My daughter would have been in heaven!

Site Meter