Campbells

Campbells

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Capturing Cappadocia: Dinner

So many times I think that I wish I had taken more pictures when we first moved to Turkey. What used to be fascinating is now common. This is "home" sort of, and one day my kids will want to see our everyday life here. Hence, common pictures follow.

The one thing about Cappadocia that we have NOT liked is that it seems food prices are much higher than in our own city. It's a tourist town, so it makes sense. But this year, we found a good restaurant with good food and decent prices. We went every night! With hospitality and relationship so important in this country, they did not think we were weird at all to show up night after night! (My kids thought we were weird.)

Here Miss Middler is enjoying lentil soup. Red pepper flakes are sprinkled on top.

 Cheese pide, the Turkish version of pizza, without sauce, though.

Here's a claypot dish. Coming out of the fire oven in its own pot, it stays hot for a long time in this. This one had onions, peppers, eggplant in a tomato based stew. The bread behind it came loaf after loaf, as much as we could eat.

In my effort to start snapping pictures of normal life here, I took this one. It's a brick oven, where our bread was made. It's ancient. I really like how this picture, with the long paddle for retrieving bread, and the claypot of food baking inside, turned out. The pot is cracked by the waiter, and the food is served just like that.

Big Ben took this one of the pideci (pide man). He may look irritated, but he was actually proud (and serious about this picture).

Not a selfie! Firstborn took it.

See the man's claypot dish right behind the water bottle? It comes with its own little fire that burns for a few minutes.

We really do feel so safe here. After the kids ate, we let them walk back through the town to our cave room to go to bed. Cappadocia is sleep-inducing! Only Firstborn stayed with us.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Such interesting photos! Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Sara, these are the best posts, or at least my favorites. I really enjoy them.

I realized that the town we live in, that I have never considered home-home, is the only place my youngest son knows. He has grown up here like your children are growing up in Turkey. He mentioned not long ago that he wants to come back and settle here. Kathleen, on the other hand has found her heart and home in another state where she also has a family history, though she didn't know it at first. She just knew that was where she wanted to be. My heart is firmly entrenched in Mississippi and I wanted to be here before I knew any family history.

I wonder if any of your children will "come home" and settle in Turkey as adults, or will they want to live in the land of their parents and grandparents?

I am always fascinated by the margin of safety you have there. That is amazing. I used to wonder how you could raise children in a foreign country. God sure provides, doesn't He?

Well keep these ordinary, everyday life posts coming. They are great.

Mel

Site Meter