Campbells

Campbells

Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Flight That Wasn't Meant To Be

We started our summer journey to America with very high hopes. I made the plan to fly alone with the kids, as CC had to finish closing out school and I needed to get the kids back to start swim lesson week. I have flown with the 5 before, and we've always made our connections.

The kids are getting older and flying is getting easier.
 Before we ever left Ankara, these two found a play area at the airport.
 Firstborn made me laugh with her headset....I thought she looked like our pilot!
 When we arrived in Istanbul, our gate was just a very long line. An older couple was in line in front of us, hauling their plastic bag carry-ons. I felt for them. It was a long slow line. I spotted some chairs, so I encouraged Sweet Cheeks to go sit down. She hesitated until our new friend offered to sit down with her, as well. They quickly made friends.
 We completed the long flight across the ocean (this leg alone was 12 hours) and then discovered our flight out of Chicago was cancelled due to weather. The airline could not offer us a hotel or even a meal voucher. At that point, we'd been in transit about 20 hours. All the hotels in town were booked up due to a sporting event. The transport vans could not take us to the Chicago suburbs, where the only hotels were available. The plan was to put us on 2 more flights the next day instead of the 1 flight we were originally on. There was no guarantee we would get out the next day or that we would not get stuck in another city.  I had no phone. I had no sleep. I used the airline counter phone and called my dad, who made the offer to me to come pick us up. I declined. It was then that I began to realize we might not even be able to get a taxi that could take all 6 of us to a hotel. I called Dad back, and he said he'd be happy to come get us. So, just before Father's Day, my dad, mom and brother drove 9 hours to Chicago from Nashville to pick us up. I really appreciated knowing they were on the way. I am still not sure I made the best decision, but I was very tired and feeling very alone and responsible for my kids.
 The kids slept a little while we waited the 9 hours for our ride. There were so many angry people at the airport. Very soon into our wait, I saw a man whose leg had been amputated. He was in a wheelchair and had his coffee in his hand. Someone was asking him if he was ok. He said, "I have my bag. I have my coffee. I'm ok." And then moments later I saw a army vet with a beautiful young wife at his side. He had lost his leg and had a robotic leg as a replacement. The Lord really touched my heart and reminded me that I had MUCH to be thankful for. We were delayed, but we were all safe and together. As people began discussing their individual situation and frustrations, I explained to them what the Lord had showed me earlier. I pray I was a blessing to others.

The only place open in the entire airport was a Starbucks, so after the kids woke up, I bought 3 coffee shakes and divided them. It gave them the energy to make it the rest of the wait. I perhaps overestimated those drinks! Miss Middler entertained me with cartwheels in the airport.


We did have some down moments, too.
 But in the end, the kids pulled together, and we survived our night in the airport. I am so thankful for my family willing to sacrifice time and gas money and sleep to come get us!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Oh wow, you handled that situation quite well. I'm fairly certain I would have been in tears!

Anonymous said...

Daddy's . . . The once in a millennium when Atlanta, GA got snow, I was stranded on I-285 so long that my battery died. God helped me make it off the interstate to a phone ( no cell phones in those days). I called Daddy who drove as far as he could get and then walked two miles on foot to get to me and bring me home.

It brings tears for me to think of that now. They don't make them any better Sara . . . Doesn't matter how old, or how many children we have. Daddy is always Daddy.

M

Tara G. said...

Ugh, sorry! My in-laws live 10 minutes from the airport- so wish I could have sent you to them!!!

Rachel said...

Ugh! I would have cried! Glad you guys made it.

Site Meter