Campbells

Campbells

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Singapore in Seven: Hainanese Chicken Rice

Perhaps one of our biggest regrets after leaving Singapore is why we cooked at home so much. Local food was delicious and cheap. We figured out that plan our last year there. By then we were eating local food at a hawker center almost every single night (this was especially helpful since my little girls were 1, 2, and 3 years old). What we don't regret, however, is that we tried nearly everything while we lived there. Even chicken feet.....once.

We knew during our "Singapore in Seven" we wanted to eat as much local food as we could. There was no decision for me for my first local meal: Hainanese Chicken Rice.

I have made chicken rice many years after leaving Singapore. I buy the spice packets, and we all enjoy this dish at home. But it's not the same. It's good (Firstborn requests it for her birthday meal every year), but served up local in the food stall is the best.


I had forgotten that the full dish came with a bowl of broth with dumplings and bak choy. It's soooo good. That's all I can say. If you go to Singapore, order Singapore Chicken Rice!

No comments:

Site Meter