Campbells

Campbells

Monday, March 31, 2014

It's Official! I'm a Soccer Mom!

Last weekend marked a new day for me! I officially became a soccer mom. I can't say that I have ever even watched a soccer game! This year both my girls signed up to play on the Oasis team. Firstborn played soccer at PE when she was young, got a good hard kick to the shin, and decided soccer was not for her. But this year, she decided to sign up just to stay in shape for volleyball and basketball, with some shin guards! Twinkle Toes had determined years ago that when she hit 7th grade, she wanted to try out for soccer. They both made the team, and last weekend was our first tournament.
 
I was completely and totally clueless. I know all about screaming in a gym for volleyball and basketball, but what does a soccer mom do? I teased the girls that morning that I would be running up and down the sidelines, screaming, big sunglasses on, like a real soccer mom! But I clearly learned what I should do NEXT time...sunscreen, waters, a blanket to sit on, breakfast for the girls before the game!!!

I knew the base sold some breakfast sandwiches, so I decided we'd just eat there. I didn't factor in the fact that the girls would be warming up right when they got there. I sent out their sandwiches to the field. Firstborn promptly put them down near the goal. I started worrying later that maybe they never ate. At that point, Twinkle was on the field playing. My friends clued me in...ya gotta feed them at home. No time to eat here. (Insert here the fact that we just had Twinkle checked out for fainting so often and were told she needed to get some breakfast earlier and snacks mid-day!) So I jogged over to the other side of the field and whispered, "Psst! Did you eat?" Firstborn said, "No, not yet." I said, "Well, where's the food?!" She said, "...by the goal...I think." So I had to sneak down the sideline and grab their breakfast before a goal shot into it! If only you could have seen me, my friends were laughing. First day as a soccer mom FAIL! Anyway, they did eat after the game and won their first game!


Firstborn played the second half. She's a goalie. I don't think my heart beat when the ball was down there....but she blocked them all! I've seen that girl tackle, I knew she could do it!


And like real soccer parents, we had an injury. Twinkle got a solid kick to her ankle which swelled up and turned black and blue. A couple of guys would have been happy to carry her to the car, but a certain gentleman would not have anyone carrying her but him!

 

And so, now that I've done it, I can say that I love soccer games!!! Kids running around, snacks, cheering, sunshine. Soccer moms, what's your best advice for me?

2 comments:

Melanie Keffer said...

I laughed all the way through this one. Okay, not a soccer mom, but definitely a baseball mom, yet another unique breed . . . I learned the hard way also, about breakfast. In my case, I took it for granted that 18 and 19 year old boys eat breakfast . . . Wrong. There is a reason they say breakfast of champions and it's not just to sell cereal!

No tips from me, other than common sense . . . Ha!

You do sound as bad as me though . . :). Last ball game, I went to the car to get warm. Maverick had recently batted, would not be him again soon, right? I'm sitting with Karoline when we see the ball flying through the air, smacking the scoreboard . . . Teammates were rounding third, taking their time on the way to home and who is the last runner, the guy behind that moonshot? Maverick! I came flying out of the car running up to the fence not believing I had just missed Maverick's first home run in a college game!! If we had any doubt it was him, it gone when I saw that beautiful grin on his face . . .

Moral of this tale? You soccer moms have nothing on we baseball mothers! ;)

Mel

Jennine Stalder said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Site Meter