Campbells

Campbells

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Christmas 2018

We returned from Prague just in time for Christmas Day. The day began with opening stockings, then our traditional breakfast of egg and sausage casserole, cinnamon rolls, fruit, and cheese grits. We used mugs that we picked up at various Christmas markets for our wassail.

Even if no birthday candles could be found, the cinnamon rolls were lit for Jesus' birthday.

Little Gus (yes, a full fledged member of the family now) was happy to have us back home.

We live in a country that does not really celebrate Christmas. But I can tell you that every Christmas a couple of things happen. I find that I get a little homesick that day, just a little sad about extended family being so far away. But it is also always special. The thoughtfulness of my kids towards us and each other, and the gratefulness they show when opening gifts is a treasure to me. We woke Sweet Cheeks to a guitar rendition of "Away in a Manger" just as we have been doing for our babies every year on Christmas Day. This year she was the only one still asleep.

Some things touched me very deeply. Firstborn bought me a beautiful plaid sweater. Big Ben was handing out wads of his saved money to his sisters. Twinkle painted me tiny watercolor scenes of things that have happened in our family over the years. I mean, I just soak it all in. I am one blessed mama and wife!

It's strange to be blogging about Christmas in July, but even this brings back such good memories of a day that is low stress and simple, with a sweet exchange of gifts and time together. I love our Christmas just like it is.

No comments:

Site Meter