Campbells

Campbells

Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend in Review

We have had a fabulous weekend over here in Ankara! Friday night is our normal date night but due to some illnesses in our family, we decided to stay in. A hot pizza, kids tucked into bed, then a couple of games against each other on the wii...a pretty good date in spite of staying in. Friday was Ross' mom's birthday (Mimi). It is hard to be so far from home on birthdays and holidays. We took pictures of ourselves with birthday hats on and sent them her way. Here's a little guy thinking hard about celebrating.
I'm sure there is some type of geometric name for a cone on top of a perfectly round shape.
We had a 3 day weekend and it was wonderful! I taught my oldest Mary Erin to sew on the machine. She picked it up like a pro. Ross helped Annika paint the outside of her dollhouse. He took the girls on a hike up a mountain near our house where they saw some jackrabbits. Helicopters were flying over because it is an election day. Ross had them pretend they were UFO's. We had late, big breakfasts and just had a wonderful time....until....my little boy fell. He had been stripped down to some camouflage pants and no shirt. I just could not get enough of the rolls and fatty spots. Then he was standing, holding on to a chair. I just HAD to have a picture. So I let go with one hand to grab my camera and as he fell, I could not co-ordinate the other hand. I felt AWFUL. We've had lots of falls but most of them have been on daddy's time and my focus has always been on comforting both Ross and the baby. This one I was 100% responsible for. Now, as a mother of 5, I didn't panic. I held him, told him how sorry I was. His cry subsided for the most part. Then I put ice on his head and he cried even harder. Then he began throwing up. And falling asleep. So I zipped up our coats and headed out the door. My neighbor stopped me, I told her what had happened. She told me she could not 'be at peace' until I saw a doctor. My sweet friend Brenda went with me.The doctor was very kind. He did not want to run a scan on him. He said the most important thing is consciousness, so I am to wake him 1/2 hourly tonight and check on him. He's going to be ok. I'm not a perfect mom and I guess the sooner he finds that out, the better. You see why I forget he is only 6 months sometimes. In the photo below, he has about 6 inches above his head and about a foot below his feet until his standard-sized crib will be too small. He's just a big boy, but still little inside. I promised him I'd be more careful next time.

No comments:

Site Meter